- To promote experience and knowledge-sharing among urban sector stakeholders so as to contribute to the formulation and implementation of policies on, and improving practice in, urban sector management, primarily to reduce urban poverty.
- To create a common understanding on policy and institutional capacity development issues for GoB and the (urban) public sector as a whole, for international and national partners in development, and urban communities;
- To raise public awareness about the growing importance of the urban sector and urbanisation in Bangladesh and the need for improved policies, plans, and actions;
- To bring together all stakeholders in the urban sector: central and local government officials and politicians; NGOs and CBOs; community leaders; academics and the private sector.
- Focus on the most critical issues of urbanisation;
- Broad national participation & ownership with active government leadership; and
- Partnership with key actors to ensure success